Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The World's Biggest Chair

We have a chair that I purchased from IKEA when I first moved to Philadelphia upon graduating from Penn State. Ironically, I bought the chair in an attempt to make my little apartment look nicer for the first time Jon visited me there. We have moved a lot since then…7 times to be exact…and somehow the chair is still with us. There is nothing special about the chair – I think it cost $60, it doesn’t match our furniture, its kind of dirty. But, it does bounce, is very comfortable, and is well loved! I am sentimental about it because of the circumstances surrounding its purchase, and because it is the chair that we used in our bedroom when we had Hailey for nighttime feedings. I am not sure why Jon likes the chair so much, but he does, and it has something to do with it being the “perfect” video game chair.

Our house has issues. It is just not big enough and the space we do have is not useful. We use the dining room as a playroom – mostly because we don’t own dining room furniture and we do own way too many toys. Roxy’s kennel also resides in there, along with a spiffy table that we use as a laptop desk. Decorating this room has been a challenge. Jon and I tend to be slightly bad judges of color, especially in regards to paint. There are many rooms in many houses that have had multiple paint iterations before we get it right.
Sometime after Christmas Jon decided that the dining room needed painted (this was the beginning of his mission to paint every wall in our house) and proceeded to paint it a very dark blue. I knew right away that the color was bad, but he kept hoping it would look better and painted the whole room. It already had the ugliest rug ever (but it was cheap and free shipping form target!) Needless to say, the room was an eyesore.

I finally decided on a rug that wasn’t obscenely expensive and that we both liked. We bought it and put away some of the toys that don’t get used, and the room looked better. Then we decided that it needed painted – and we deliberated over colors. We went with a very safe brown, and it actually looks very nice.


Munchkin was VERY excited about painting. Even though it had disaster written all over it, Jon said he COULDN'T not let her help....

This picture is from earlier in the day - little helper is helping make muffins, which has nothing to do with the particular story... BUT you CAN see the new rug in the background:)


Sometime Saturday evening, Jon relocated the Ikea chair to the garage. I have been using that chair in there, and it worked well, but I really want a big comfy chair for in there, so I was ok with moving the precious chair to the video gaming area -aka mancave - aka the place where I used to park my car.
The room is small though, so nothing too big is going to work. I had picked out a certain kind of chair that I really wanted, and on Sunday night I saw one on craigslist for $75. I was so excited – as the chairs I had been researching were approximately $400. I called right away, and the next evening I went to get the chair by myself, because you-know-who had to work late of course. When I got there and saw the chair I knew immediately that it was way too big, and that I should not buy it. However, I did not walk away and instead I became the owner of the worlds biggest chair. To add to my misery, when I got it home and it was sitting in the truck in the driveway, it got rained on, so now it was the biggest soaking wet chair ever.

Jon just laughed at me when he got home. Then we carried the giant wet chair inside on our heads.
Hailey and the dogs love the chair. Hailey said “ Wow! Can we sleep on it?” and then, “I think we can all sit on it together!”. Which we can, all three of us, the unborn child, and the dogs.
I listed the chair on craigslist last night, after trying every combination possible to make it work. I have 4 people interested in it, so hopefully it will leave tonight. It upsets me to look at it!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that is so funny!!!! Good luck getting rid of it, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny- I need to start on the Craig's list thing. Maybe you could just start looking for me and tell me what to buy! I could actually use a giant chair. Happy post Birthday to the big girl too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I have to say is, "I WANT THAT CHAIR"!! Too bad I live many states away....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. by the way - Joel said to sell it for at least $100......

    ReplyDelete