Tuesday, April 27, 2010

No, We are not READY!

This is what the Baby's Room looked like BEFORE we started cleaning up for Nana and Papa's visit. The much too big TV now resides in the garage - where Captain Works-Too-Much thinks he needs a "man-cave". The rarely used Bowflex that you can only barely see was re-homed.

A common question I am asked is if we are ready for the baby. The second most common question is if I am due soon…which I am sure is because of my circumference, and the astonished looks I get when I tell them I have 10-11 weeks to go can be comical. I don’t always feeeel comical, but I try to be understanding that some people are just stupid, and apparently have no idea what to say to pregnant ladies.

But back to being “ready” for the baby. First of all, given this is my second child, I am not driven to have everything ready, because I know she doesn’t need a perfectly decorated room and every little baby item to be in its place. She is going to sleep in a bassinet (that I don’t own yet) in my room for awhile. Secondly, my house is just not big enough, and I don’t know where we are going to fit this little baby. I sold some stuff on craigslist on Friday, and we had the beginning of a yard sale on Saturday. It certainly helped, but we still have a ways to go. The crib and changing table are stored on our trailer, along with the rest of the yard sale stuff we have been setting aside for several years, but beloved husband can’t remember the combination to the gate to get the trailer, not to mention he works a bazillion hours a week so he doesn’t really have time to get it anyway.

As mentioned in a previous post, we were forced to organize what will be the baby’s room because it is also our guest room, and Nana and Papa were visiting. We made some real progress, but then Jon embarked on a painting mission yesterday. He has decided that every wall in our house has to be painted, and the guest room is one of the rooms that has not been painted since we moved in. We got everything in that room moved to the center, its all taped up and ready to go, and then he decided that he needed to paint the two-story wall in our foyer first. That took a lot longer than expected, even with the new very tall ladder we "needed" to buy for the project. Now the room is in shambles again, and who knows when we will get back to painting it. He has an IPUG ride today, needs to finish his masters classwork by May 15th, is going TDY for a week starting Saturday, and has a big inspection at his “other” work the week after that. And then we have our big St Thomas trip the week after that!

So, I can definitely say that we are NOT ready – not in the way we were for Hailey. Everything is not organized and in its place, nor do I have a plan on how we are going to get ready. However, I think I have a much better concept of what its going to be like this time, so from that point, sure, I’m ready! Gimme a baby!
This is how the room looks now. Pretty!

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up. But I do think you have a great attitude about it. The house does not need to be perfect when the new princess gets here. You, Jon and Hailey are perfect and that's all she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you write. I can even hear you say it! Like you said, the first child is when you get everything perfect. From then on, its survival. Little Aubrey will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete