Monday, April 19, 2010

The Bee Will Make Me STINK??

Hailey has always been the perfect combination of girly-girl and little tomboy. She can be very girly – would prefer to wear a dress or night gown over anything else, loves her baby dolls and anything to do with THE Princesses (especially Ariel, who is her favorite) but pays equally as much attention to her Handy Manny Tool Box and likes to help her Daddy with whatever he is doing outside or around the house. Bugs, dirt, and the dead small animals that tend to show up in our yard were some of her favorite things, and she is forever bringing them to me…yay.
And then…the toddler nightmares started, which for some reason tend to involve bugs, spiders, crocodiles and snakes. I hate for her to be so scared, but am happy that she is developing a bit of fear of the gross things that Mommy is terrified of…in my opinion its much safer than her fearless fascination and investigation of nature.
The other day we went to Farm Fresh to pick up a few things after work. When we got out of the car in the parking lot, there was a half dead bumblebee right by our car. She was very curious about it, so we looked at it and I explained that we don’t touch bees because they will sting you, and then we went inside the store. When we came back out, the half-dead bee was still there (and if I wasn’t so terrified of all bugs I might have put the thing out of its misery, but even stepping on it scares me) so we looked at it again and then I put her in her carseat, where she said to me “If I touch the bee it will make me stink?” I realized she didn’t understand what a “sting” was so I showed her that a sting is like a pinch. She understood that, and I could tell she was thinking about the bee. On the way home she said “ I wish there were bee’s at my house, not just at the store.” We have holly bushes so we have tons of bees – the big kind – but I didn’t tell her that, and just agreed.
The next day she went to the playground with Mrs. Jen and the babies, and told Mrs Jen all about how bees will pinch you and you don’t touch them. For about a week afterwards she showed me everywhere she saw a bee and made sure that I know not to touch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment