Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hailey and Mama's Big Race

Running has become my link to sanity on many a day.  Fortunately, both girls love going running with me, so just about every morning I strap them into my super awesome Schwinn Arrow Double Jogger and hit the road.  When Hailey was Aubrey's age, she would immediately go to sleep, but Aubrey is way to curious about the world to sleep.  She looks at everything, straining to sit up more, and is sure to talk to every dog we see along the way.  Hailey, my constant chatterbox, talks to me the entire way about anything that comes to mind, and I have to periodically stop to collect wildflowers for her.  When we get to the end of my run, she gets out and does her run while I cool down.

I started running about 5 years ago, but have never run a race.  I decided to sign up for a 5k the Saturday before Easter - mostly because it said strollers were welcome and it would give us something to do while Jon was at his masters class.  I really had no idea what to expect, but a 5k is 3.2 miles, which is about what we run every day, so I figured it would be something different.  Hailey was very excited to be in the race and cheered me on the whole way.  There was a very large Great Dane dog that was running by us for a good portion of the race and Aubrey talked to him incessantly.  I am not sure what my official time or finish was, but it was somewhere between 26 and 27 minutes and lots of people were amazed that I did that with my giant stroller full of baby girls:)  

After my race there was a 1/2 mile Bunny Hop race for the little kids.  Hailey really wanted to run it, so I  signed her up, even though she was wearing flip flops.  She was so excited and did soooo well!  She took it very seriously and out ran lots of kids twice her size.  She got a wind up chick toy at the finish line which she tells everyone is her trophy and that she won. 

Be sure to watch the video at the end - it is super cute! Its very short and quick, however, because the whole thing happened a lot faster than I was prepared for!



It is kind of hard to get this video to play, but it will work if you keep trying...and its worth it!


2 comments:

  1. What a great Easter Egg Hunt!! You've got some great pictures. It's nice to be able to see the girls when you live too far away to see them in person. I like the videos. Since I haven't had a chance to meet Aubrey in person yet these pictures will let me see her as she grows. Thanks for the update. Happy Easter!!!
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like momma like daughter. Good work Hailey! You too Jenn. :)

    ReplyDelete