Thursday, June 10, 2010

Oh, the Fabulous experiences I have at the women's health clinic...

I am 35 weeks pregnant, have gained over 40 pounds, its hot, humid, I am tired and cranky, my husband works ridiculous hours and my daughter is in one of her very “headstrong” phases. Honestly, this is me trying not to complain!

Before we left on vacation I was finally “allowed” to make an appointment with a doctor to talk about delivery options, and that appointment was on June 4th. At that appointment, the doctor I was scheduled to see was not actually working that day (I was told it was a scheduling error) but another doctor was going to see me. They took me back and put me in a room, where I sat so long the motion sensored lights went off. Eventually the girl came back to tell me that the doctor looked at the schedule and the doctor who WOULD be on call around my due date was not her, but another doctor that I had never seen (big surprise there) and therefore she thought I should just reschedule and come back to see that doctor. So, regardless of the fact that I had to leave work early for this appointment and had already been there for an hour, I went out to reschedule, only to find that that doctor didn’t have any appointments for the entire month of June. They went to find her, and she agreed to see me on her admin day, which was this morning.

At this point I can only find the humor in what will happen at my visits to the doctor. Its not the doctors and NP's though...they are great and I like them all very much...

Jon, Hailey and I all went to my appointment this morning. Other than having to wait an extra 30 minutes while they tried to locate my chart that was missing, it was a good appointment and I liked the doctor very much. I thought Hailey would like to hear the baby's heartbeat, but she covered her ears and said it was too loud.

We discussed all of my options and she helped us decide to schedule to have our baby on July 13th, which is the day after I am due. I am not definitely going to have a VBAC and I am not definitely going to have a c- section. She was more than happy to let us get closer to that day and see how I am progressing, and basically reassured me that we can try to have a VBAC, and that I will be monitored and they won’t let it go 24 hours with 4 hours of pushing like the last time – it will either work or it won’t, and if it doesn’t they will quickly make the decision to do the c-section. She also said that if I don’t have her on my own by the 13th and if I am “favorable” on that day, she would try to induce me first and see what happens.
Basically she is doing exactly what I hoped for – the only thing that would be better would be if she could magically tell me that it was going to work or not and what the “right” answer is. I don’t think that’s too much to ask :)

Oh, and they did eventually locate my chart, but the paperwork I needed to turn into my work so that I don't lose my job while on maternity leave was missing...

I keep reminding myself how lucky we are that our medical benefits are "free".

2 comments:

  1. July 12 is Matt's birthday...just sayin'. :O) So, now I can start planning my trip home...we'll have a baby by the 13th?!? Looks like we'll be here until AT LEAST the 14th. Sorry you've had to deal with such drama with the base. It sounds like though the doctor is a great one. That's great to finally get some good news about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're being realistic and trying to make this an enjoyable experience - which it should be! Wish I could be there for you......miss you tons :)

    ReplyDelete